Rights in the Website and its Content
The Website and all content provided on it (“Content”) is protected by copyright, trademark and other applicable intellectual property and proprietary rights laws and is owned, controlled and/or licensed by the University of Toronto and Université Laval. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Copyright in the biographies provided on the Website (“Biography” or “Biographies”) is owned by the University of Toronto and Université Laval.
Notwithstanding the foregoing and where applicable, copyright in any non-text Content that appears on the Website may be within the public domain or owned by the rights holder(s) indicated for that content. Any and all trademarks appearing on the Website are the property of the University of Toronto and/or Université Laval, or their respective owners.
Use of the Website and its Content for an Electronic Medium (for example, reproduction on the Internet or a CD-ROM)
The Biographies have been provided with the intent that they be readily available for personal and public noncommercial use, without cost, and You may use and reproduce any Biography, in whole or in part and by any means, for that purpose, provided that You:
- ensure the accuracy of the materials reproduced, without any modification;
- identify the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online as the source (see the section “Cite This Article” below each biography); and
- do not represent the reproduction as an official version of the materials reproduced, or as having been made in affiliation with Us or with Our endorsement.
You may not:
- use the Website or any Content for any commercial purpose;
- delete or alter any proprietary rights or attribution notices in any Content; or,
Any modification to a Biography, including a translation, requires Our prior written permission. Requests for permission should be sent to email@example.com.
Use of the Website and its Content for a Print Medium (for example, reproduction in a book, an article in a newspaper or magazine, a brochure, or an advertisement)
To use or reproduce Content from the Website in a print medium, You require written permission from University of Toronto Press.
Linking to any page of the Website other than to http://www.biographi.ca through a plain text link is prohibited.
The Website may contain links to third party websites and resources (“Linked Sites”), which are provided in good faith and for information only. We do not endorse the content on such Linked Sites and We make no representations or warranties regarding the correctness, accuracy, performance or quality of any content, software, service, or application found at any Linked Site. You access Linked Sites at your own risk.
Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the Biographies, some information on the Website may be incomplete, out of date or inaccurate and may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and We assume no responsibility for that information. We may revise the Website, or revise or remove any Biography, at any time in Our sole discretion.
All information on the Website is available in both English and French, except where information from external sources is available only in the language in which it was provided.
Questions or comments regarding the Website may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
The Dictionary of Canadian Biography/Dictionnaire biographique du Canada collects and uses the personal information provided by registered users for only the following purposes:
- To enable registered users to save the results of their research;
- To enable the DCB/DBC to manage online registrations;
- To enable the DCB/DBC to e-mail communications to those who opt to receive them.
- To enable the DCB/DBC to enhance its content by using the results of anonymous analysis of research lists created by those users who opt to allow us to do so. No personal information provided by registered users is included in the analysis. Only the information in the research lists is used for purposes such as improving the website's search capabilities or ranking a biography's popularity.
The DCB/DBC does not share personal information provided by registered users.
If you have questions concerning collection and use of personal information provided by registered users, please contact the Executive Officer, Dictionary of Canadian Biography, at email@example.com.